IHL ON TERRORISM & COUNTER TERRORISM
Centre for Military and International Humanitarian Law (CoMIHL), National Defense University of Malaysia (NDUM), together with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), has conducted a course on the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) on Terrorism and Counter-terrorism in 2019. The course received good feedbacks from the participants with various backgrounds. The 2nd series of this course is designed to provide participants with the key concepts and principles that underpin international instruments and institutions concerned with the complex topics of terrorism and how to counter terrorism, as well as any hard, security-based, responses adopted by States when confronted with acts of terrorism. This course will provide a brief overview of modern terrorism and its implications for the international community. Specifically, the course also will provide insight into terrorism in the area of international humanitarian law. The target audience will be academia, enforcement officers, and key stakeholders in counter-terrorism activities.
- Analyse the concept and underpinning legal principles of international crimes of terrorism, whether at the national or international level.
- Explain treaty-based crimes relevant for prosecuting acts of terrorism, whether at the national or international level.
- Familiarize students with interdisciplinary perspectives of terrorism and counter-terrorism.
- Colonel Azlan Iskandar Abdul Ghani (Retired), Military and Armed Group (MAG) Delegate, International Committee of the Red Cross Kuala Lumpur Regional Delegation.
- DCP Normah Bin Ishak, Principal Assistant Director of the Bukit Aman Special Branch’s Counter Terrorism Division (E8)
- Calum McDonald, Armed & Security Forces (FAS) Delegate, International Committee of the Red Cross Kuala Lumpur Regional Delegation.
- Lt Cdr Mazura (retired), Deputy Director, Centre for Military and International Humanitarian Law (CoMIHL).
- Dr. Salma bt Mohd Yusof, Head of International Humanitarian Law, Centre for Military and International Humanitarian Law (CoMIHL).
- Ms. Amirah Rushaliha Hamidon, Programme Adviser, Armed & Security Forces (FAS), International Committee of the Red Cross Kuala Lumpur Regional Delegation.
- Lt Col Shaharudin Bin Abdul Rahman (Retired).
- Maj Dhylyne B Espejo, Legal Officer, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Armed Forces of the Philippines
- Dr. Fajri Matahati Muhammadin, Faculty of Law, Gadjah Mada University
- Col Norhishmudian Bin Rahim, Legal Officer Staff 1, Armed Forces Headquartes, Malaysia
- Maj Kahirul Nizam Bin Taib TUDM, Head of Military Law, Centre for Military and International Humanitarian Law (CoMIHL)
- Date: 11-13 Aug 2021
- Time : 0830 am – 1600 pm (Malaysia time GMT +8)
- Platform : Microsoft Teams
- Language: English
Open to the public – a limited number of military personnel, police personnel, academia, legal and humanitarian practitioners, CoMIHL alumni and other key stakeholders will also be invited to join the course.
- Introduction to Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism
- Terrorism Operational Spectrum
- Overview of the Counter-Terrorism Legal Framework
- Criminal Justice Responses to Terrorism
- Regional Counter-Terrorism Approaches
- Military/Armed Conflict Approaches to Countering Terrorism
- Counter-Terrorism and Situation of Public Emergency
- Prohibition Against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment
- Non-discrimination and fundamental freedoms
- Counter-terrorism in IHRL
- Privacy, investigative techniques and intelligence gathering
- Counter-Terrorism in Malaysia